Butternut Squash Soup with Sage
Total Time: 80 minutes (70 mins inactive) Serves: 6
- 1 package Simple Beginnings Butternut Squash (cubed)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper - to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion - diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage – chopped (additional for garnish)
- 5 to 6 cups chicken broth (depending on preferred consistency of soup)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large bowl, toss the cubed butternut squash with 2 tablespoons olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on a baking sheet and roast for approximately 30 minutes, turning squash once half way through.
- In a large pot, heat the remaining olive oil and butter. Add the diced onion and chopped sage and sauté for 10 minutes. Add the roasted squash and most of the chicken broth and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Using a blender or food processor, carefully puree/blend soup in batches until smooth. (An immersion (stick) blender may also be used directly in the pot). Add additional broth to reach desired consistency. Return soup to pot to keep warm.
I highly suggest adding additional chopped sage on top prior to serving!
If you are short on time, add the squash into the stockpot after sautéing the onions without roasting. You will not have the same depth of flavor, but it will still be a delicious "good for you" soup!
Simple and delicious!
Chef Linda ~ A good life deserves great food...